Well I’m over due for a blog post so here it is:
Many have been asking me privately what happened to Home in Time. I decided I might as well respond publicly. The short answer is I cancelled it back in July for several reasons. Basically, I ran out of time. I wanted at least 5 weeks of rehearsal time. We were down to 4 weeks at the time of cancelation. I was also hoping to find a second one act (or something of similar length) to partner with the show and split the venue cost. While there was some interest, at the point of the decision/deadline for cancelation I had yet to receive a commitment.
The budget for the show including salaries for the cast and crew was two thousand dollars. Ultimately, I was unwilling to invest that because I wasn’t convinced that I had enough time to pull the show off to my standards.
I still gained a lot from the experience. I met a lot of actors in the community and expanded my contact list for future productions. I met one woman who is eager to volunteer for the company and that is very flattering.
Also, the prep work I put into the script I can still use if/when I produce the show. In all honesty, that work is a good exercise in itself. I would have preferred to keep the momentum going that I started with Prisoner’s Dilemma but I know that I made the right decision here.
On a positive note: Les Guerriers grabbed the time slot at Studio Leonard-Beaulne (my venue). I’m glad they did. It was a solidly entertaining piece of theatre and has inspired me to see more French plays this year.